Renewal of Certification
The Catechetical Wisdom Community
The gathering of all the Certified Directors and Coordinators of Religious Education in the name of the Lord Jesus for the sake of their service in the Church: the Catechetical Formation of His people
By Certification, the Archdiocesan Catechetical Office affirms that, to the best of its knowledge, the individual Director or Coordinator of Religious Education has met the standards expressed in the Archdiocesan Handbook for Directors and Coordinators.
By Certification, the Director or Coordinator of Religious Education affirms that he/she intends to be an active member of a catechetical leadership community whose commitment to religious education reaches beyond the parish to the wider Archdiocesan Church.
Through Certification, the Catechetical Office identifies the Director or Coordinator as a significant member of the Archdiocesan Catechetical Leadership Community -- those people who put their competencies and skills at the service of the Catechetical Mission of the wider Church. (Archdiocesan Handbook for Directors/Coordinators, p. PF-31)
Renewal of Certification
- Certification is for a five year period after which it must be renewed.
- Renewal of Certification is based on the fulfillment of the requirements for renewal.
- Requirements for Renewal must be met each year during the 5-year certification period.
Requirements for Renewal of Certification
- 30 class hours in catechesis or theology over 5 years; attendance at the NY Catechetical Congress can provide up to 4 hours a year
- Yearly attendance at a minimum of one spiritual renewal opportunity provided either by the Archdiocesan or the Regional Catechetical Office; this day/evening or prayer is for the purpose of providing a forum for spiritual sharing among Catechetical Leaders
- Regular attendance each year at Regional Catechetical Meetings; "regular" means attendance for at least 3/4ths of the meetings
- Yearly attendance at a minimum of one professional formation seminar/workshop sponsored by the Archdiocesean Catechetical Office. These seminars and workshops can be found listed in the following sections of the Formation for Catechetical Leaders web pages: Ongoing Formation, Basic Training, Certification Events
- Exercising catechetical leadership beyond the parish for the sake either of the vicariate or the archdiocese; examples are: serving on a committee, giving classes or workshops in a catechetical field. mentoring at the request of the Catechetical Office
- Recommendation by the Regional Catechetical Director.
- Recommendation by the Certification Review Committee
- Approval for Certification by the Director of the Archdiocesan Catechetical Office
(Archdiocesan Handbook for Directors/Coordinators, page PF-32)
N.B. Developing and administering an excellent parish religious education program is NOT a requirement for Renewal of Certification. It is the primary responsibility of the Director/Coordinator of Religious Education whether certified or not.
Reactivating an Expired Certification
It is always the Director/Coordinator who makes the decision whether or not to remain certified. This decision is made yearly by the choice of whether or not to fulfill the requirements. Certification expires if it is not maintained each year by the fulfillment of the requirements listed above. If a Certified Director or Coordinator allows her/his certification to expire, it is necessary to do the following in order to become re-certified.
- All the requirements listed above for the Renewal of Certification must be fullfilled each year for 3 years.
- The required number of class hours in catechesis or theology is 20 over 3 years.