Renewal of Certification
Requirements for Renewal of Certification
- Certification is for a five year period after which it must be renewed.
- Renewal of Certification is based on the fulfillment of the requirements for renewal.
- Requirements for Renewal must be met each year during the 5-year certification period.
- 30 class hours in catechesis or theology over 5 years; attendance at the Catechetical Forum can provide up to 4 hours a year.
- Yearly attendance at a minimum of one spiritual renewal opportunity provided either by the Archdiocesan or the Regional Catechetical Office; this day/evening or prayer is for the purpose of providing a forum for spiritual sharing among Catechetical Leaders.
- Regular attendance each year at Regional Catechetical Meetings; regular means attendance for at least 3/4ths of the meetings.
- Yearly attendance at a minimum of one professional formation seminar/workshop sponsored by the Archdiocesean Catechetical Office. These seminars and workshops can be found listed in Basic Training and Certification Events.
- Exercising catechetical leadership beyond the parish for the sake either of a deanery or the Archdiocese, such as, serving on a committee, giving classes or workshops in a catechetical field, mentoring at the request of the Catechetical Office.
- Recommendation by the Regional Catechetical Director.
- Recommendation by the Certification Review Committee.
- Approval for Certification by the Director of the Archdiocesan Catechetical Office.
N.B. Developing and administering an excellent parish religious education program is NOT a requirement for Renewal of Certification. It is the primary responsibility of the Director/Coordinator of Religious Education whether certified or not.
For more information please contact:
Sr. Teresita Morse, RJM
Director of Formation for Catechetical Leaders of Religious Education
1011 First Ave, Room 1250
New York, NY 10022
Fax: (212) 980-1035